Indiana Women’s Tennis
Media Relations Contact: Ryan Sheets (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Indiana Sweeps Butler, 7-0
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Indiana women’s tennis downed Butler on Sunday afternoon in the IU Tennis Center, 7-0. The Hoosiers are now 2-0 on the young season.
The Hoosiers swept the double point, giving up only four games total in the three matches. Kim Schmider and Natalie Whalen rolled past Butler’s Bailey Padgett and Kylie Haviland, 6-0. Indiana’s sweep in doubles was completed by the IU duos of Madison Appel and Sarah McLean (No. 2) as well as Danielle Wolf and Paula Gutierrez (No. 3).
In singles, it was much of the same for the Hoosiers. Stephanie Smith dropped just one game in a 6-0, 6-1 win over Kailey Eaton at No. 5. At No. 6, Wolf downed Callie Schmit of Butler in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2.
Schmider clinched the matched for the home team with her No. 4 triumph of Rachel Sutton, 6-0, 6-3. Other singles winners for the Hoosiers included McLean (No. 3), Appel (No. 1) and Gutierrez (No. 2).
Indiana will next hit the road for a double-header next Saturday, Jan. 30 in Cincinnati to take on Xavier at 10 a.m. ET followed by Cincinnati at 3 p.m.
Indiana 7, Butler 0
- Madison Appel (IU) def. Bailey Padgett (BU) 6-4, 6-1
- Paula Gutierrez (IU) vs. Kylie Haviland (BU) 6-7 (2-7), 6-4, 10-6
- Sarah McLean (IU) def. Konstantina Adami (BU) 6-1, 6-1
- Kim Schmider (IU) def. Rachel Sutton (BU) 6-0, 6-3
- Stephanie Smith (IU) def. Kailey Eaton (BU) 6-0, 6-1
- Danielle Wolf (IU) def. Callie Schmit (BU) 6-0, 6-2
- Schmider/Whalen (IU) def. Padgett/Haviland (BU) 6-0
- Appel/McLean (IU) def. Sutton/Eaton (BU) 6-1
- Wolf/Gutierrez (IU) def. Schmit/Adami (BU) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3) Singles (5,6,4,3,1,2)