Feb. 15, 2015
Site: IU Tennis Center (Bloomington, Ind.)
Final Score: No. 52 Indiana 4, No. 20 Notre Dame 3
Next IU Match: Saturday, Feb. 21 — at Tennessee (Knoxville, Tenn.), 10:30 a.m. ET
Related Links: 2015 Schedule
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — The No. 52 Indiana women’s tennis team upended the 20th-ranked Notre Dame Fighting Irish on Sunday in the IU Tennis Center, 4-3.
The Hoosiers responded after Notre Dame swept the doubles point by winning four singles matches to earn the upset victory. The match lasted over four and a half hours and saw four of the six singles matches go to a third set.
After ND took doubles, Indiana’s Stephanie Smith and Shannon Murdy gave Indiana two quick points with straight-set wins. Smith downed Jane Fennelly in the No. 6 match, 6-1, 6-2, before Murdy defeated Notre Dame’s Julie Vrabel, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 3.
IU’s Paula Gutierrez fell in the first set of her No. 4 match vs. Mary Closs before rebounding to win the second and third sets to give Indiana its third point of the match as she won 5-7, 6-3, 6-4.
Notre Dame made it a 3-2 score after Allison Miller edged Indiana’s Sarah Baron in the No. 5 match, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2.
All eyes turned to the No. 1 and No. 2 matches as each of those were heading to a third set. Alecia Kauss, playing at No. 2, dropped a first-set tiebreaker to ND’s Monica Robinson, but then rolled through the second and third sets to defeat Robinson, 6-7, 6-1, 6-3, to clinch the team win for Indiana.
The only match remaining was at No. 1 between Katie Klyczek of Indiana and Quinn Gleason of Notre Dame. Klyczek took the first set, 6-4. In the second set, Klyczek had the match in hand with an opportunity at five match points in the set, but could never close. Gleason took the tiebreak 7-3.
The third set also ended up knotted at 6-6. Klyczek jumped ahead 6-3 in the tiebreak, but Gleason rallied back to win the tiebreak 8-6 and the match.
Indiana will next hit the road to take on Tennessee on Saturday, Feb. 21. That match is set to begin in Knoxville at 10:30 a.m. ET.
No. 52 Indiana 4, No. 20 Notre Dame 3
1. Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Katie Klyczek (IU) 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (8-6)
2. Alecia Kauss (IU) def. Monica Robinson (ND) 6-7 (3-7), 6-1, 6-3
3. Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Julie Vrabel (ND) 6-2, 6-2
4. Paula Gutierrez (IU) def. Mary Closs (ND) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
5. Allison Miller (ND) def. Sarah Baron (IU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
6. Stephanie Smith (IU) def. Jane Fennelly (ND) 6-1, 6-2
1. Quinn Gleason/Monica Robinson (ND) def. Carolyn Chupa/Katie Klyczek (IU) 8-2
2. Allison Miller/Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Alecia Kauss/Kim Schmider (IU) 8-5
3. Mary Closs/Jane Fennelly (ND) def. Shannon Murdy/Stephanie Smith (IU) 8-5
Media Contact: Ryan Sheets, firstname.lastname@example.org